Saturday, November 20, 2010

Transformation

This is one of my new favorite flowers.  It is called a frangipani.  Previous to moving to PNG I had no idea of it's existence.  Yes; we have discovered many things both big and small.

This particular frangipani is even more special though because I planted it and watched it grow.  It came from a remote airstrip in the form of a stick.  I was told just put it in the ground and it will grow.  Now you may be a little sceptical and I was once as well, but I have had a few experiences with PNG sticks to know that they can do extraordinary things.

I have tried several times now to plant tomatoes, to no avail as of yet.  However I have succeeded in growing some very leafy sticks.  I prepared my planters by drilling holes in the bottom of a bucket; placed a layer of gravel down to ensure good drainage, mixed some compost and sand into the soil to improve its composition and maybe its disposition; started my tomatoes in little planters and made sure they were growing well; transplanted them into the planters and staked them up with some 'dead' sticks I found over the bank.  I was very hopeful as I watched my tomatoes grow.  Sadly over time, instead of grow, they began to wilt and shrivel but in there place the sticks began to sprout leaves!  I still had greenery in my pot unfortunately for me not the kind that grows big fat juicy tomatoes, maybe I am just not meant to grow tomatoes here.

This stick experience however gave me great hope for the flowering stick.  And what do you know; not long after poking it into the ground green leaves began to sprout and now a few months later it has been transformed from a stick in the mud to a plant of delicate beauty!

I was thinking maybe that is what the Lord is up to with me also.  Transforming me from a stick in the mud to a thing of beauty.  I am not to sure where we are in the process but I think that may depend on the day and how much time I stop to receive his nourishment and blessing.

Mel for the Marshes

No comments:

Post a Comment