Monday, January 11, 2010

Jason Goes In For Surgery


It's not what you think, last week I had the opportunity to be in the operating room and watch Dr. Addy & Dr. Sharron operate on a woman that had a cyst on her overy. I was not sure how I would do watching a surgery in person, but it was not to bad and if I have another chance I will go and observe again.











This is Dr. Addy scrubing up to get herself sterile.



This is Dr. Sharron with her sterile smock on and working on getting her sergical gloves on.
















Here is both Dr. Addy and Dr. Sharron hard at work. They were hoping to keep the incision small, but due to the size of the cyst they had to make it larger. It was quite a process, they used a number of instrument to cut through the different layers of tissues.




















The next two pictures are a little more graphic, the first one shows Dr. Sharron with her hand inside the patient feeling for the cyst and pulling it out on top of the patient's stomach so that it can be removed.










The next picture is of the cyst removed. The cyst was about 2/3's the size of a basketball and weighed about 2-3 kilograms.The Dr.s have told me that they can be so large that they can weigh upto 15 kilos, this is hard to image. Just for you information this woman was awake for the whole surgery, she just had an epideral.



The Good doctors here are amazing and they are able to do so much with so little. Please pray for them as they continue to do the work that the Lord has called them to do.

I hope with one of the medivac I do in the future that I will be able to follow the patient all the way through and return them to their home. When this happens I will share this journey with you.

2 comments:

  1. A collective 'Wow!' from all the Senfts

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was amazing! I can't imagine one 15 kg. Thanks for the pictures. Keep on posting. I really enjoy being able to read about all your adventures and how God is working.

    ReplyDelete